It’s 2 weeks in dubai after a 4 month long vacation and missing my first home. The only way to get over it is by going through photographs and videos taken for the past 4 months.
Today it’s all about kale
I’ve seen many recipes using kale but I’ve never tried one till last month.
It was a busy week in colombo when i ran to the supermarket to grabs some stuff for an order with my 2 kids and sister. A randon check over the green counter and seeing a bunch of organic kale was really refreshing. I quickly grabbed a bunch out of the 3 left.
I was so busy with many cake orders so couldn’t remember that i got a bunch of fresh organic kale. I have read many recipes but the sri lankan family would like the traditional method so i made it into a mallum (mallum is a sinhala word for a kind of devil made with vegetables) we make mallums of all sort like banana flower, green leafy vegetables, etc. Its really tasty. You just can eat it with a slice of bread, some rice or even roti. We make it spicy and its the best side dish in a sri lankan lunch or dinner.
Here is how we make it
A bunch of kale
1 medium onion finely chopped
A few curry leaves
Salt, pepper and chillie powder to taste
1 table spoon oil
Some chillie flakes
Use banana flowers or any other sort of green leafy vegetables or even carrots, beetroot, beans, eggplant only need to be fried to make in the following method.
1. Wash and chop the kale or any other vegetables from the list above.
2. Add to the pan and top it with the curry leaves and chopped onions. Add some green chillies finely chopped if you like extra spicy. If using eggplant or aubergines chop them finely and deep fry before starting the process.
3. Season with salt and spices mentioned above. Use some maldive fish chips for extra crunchiness. Add the spices according to ypu preference.
4. Close and leave it ove a low flame. For gren leaves it just need 2 minutes or so according to the quantity. For carrots, beets and beans it may need extra time depending on the thickness you cut then. Grate and add the carrots and beet for fast cooking.
5. Soon as the kale looks reduced and the water evaporates increase the heat and add the oil. Stor continously and let it fry a bit.
Take off before it’s burnt.
If using banana flower add a piece of tomato, capsicum and pickled lime for better results.